Who Needs an MC Authority?

Companies need to have interstate operating authority (MC number), in addition to a DOT number, if they do the following:

  • Provide transportation for passengers in interstate commerce for compensation. This compensation can be direct or indirect;
  • Transport federally-regulated materials that are owned by others, arranging for their transport.

MC, MX, and FF are several different types of operating authorities. These operating authorities cover all sorts of different industry needs. A company may need multiple operating authorities simultaneously to keep its business operations going.

If you are a trucking business owner, you must find out what types of authority your business needs. For example, it’s not mandatory to have an MC operating authority if you are:

  • A private carrier, which means you only haul your own cargo;
  • A carrier that only operates within a federally designated commercial zone and is not subject to interstate authority rules;
  • A for-hire carrier that only transports cargo that is not regulated federally.

While all of these distinctions can be tough to keep track of, business owners have to keep track of these things. Luckily, SafeLine can help you get the filings your business needs!

MC Authority Filing

Your business needs the right type of operating authority to make your business legal. The authorities you choose can impact the required type and amount of insurance you’ll need.

You can apply for the following types of authority:

  • Motor Contract Carrier of Property, excluding Household Goods
  • Motor Contract Carrier of Household Goods
  • Broker of Property, excluding Household Goods
  • Motor Passenger Carrier
  • Freight Forwarder
  • Mexican Certificate of Registration for Foreign Motor Carriers and Foreign Motor Private Carriers
  • Non-North America–Domiciled Motor Carrier
  • Mexico-based Carrier for MC Authority to Operate beyond Commercial Zones on the US-Mexico Border and US Municipalities.

How Long Does It Take to Get an MC Number?

It can take around 20–25 business days for a new applicant to get their MC number. However, for existing carriers’ applications, it can take more like 45–60 business days.

Contact SafeLine today and we’ll answer all your questions about MC Authority!