Frequently Asked Questions

When Will SAFER List My MC Authority as Active?

First, your insurance carrier has to send the FMCSA proof of your new insurance policy. This is your MCS90 or MCS91 filing. Assuming you have nothing else pending, FMCSA will then process your application. In a couple of days, your authority will become active!

Are MC Numbers and MC Permits Different?

Yes! MC numbers are a federal identification system for interstate drivers. It goes hand in hand with your USDOT number to make your authority active. However, the MC Permit is a California-specific filing. It proves that you have a CA number, which is necessary to be a motor carrier in California.

How Do I Get My Certificate of Insurance (COI)?

If you need a COI, you can simply reach out to us! Our phone lines are open from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. during the week. You can also send us an email at at any time.

I Just Paid for My New Insurance Policy. When Will I Be Able to Get a COI?

In about two business days, you should receive your certificate of insurance. It takes underwriting a little bit of time to process everything, so be patient for just a little bit!

I Obtained My CDL Recently. Can I Get Insured by SafeLine?

SafeLine requires at least 2 years of experience behind the wheel of a commercial vehicle before we can offer insurance. This rule applies if you’re under your own authority. However, if you’re an owner-operator with a new CDL or are leasing to another carrier, we can help you out with our excellent coverage.

I Obtained My Authority Recently. Now I Need Insurance to Activate My Authority. What Do I Do?

If you just got your authority, we can help you out. Just contact us today and one of our agents will help you activate your authority!

I Bought a Truck and Need to Get It Off the Lot. Do I Need Insurance for This?

Yes, you do. This is called “bobtail insurance“, and it will protect you and your new truck while you take it to your home or office.

I’m Trying to Get Work as an Amazon Driver. What Insurance Do I Need?

At SafeLine Truck Insurance, we’re very familiar with what Amazon requires of its drivers. Here’s what we’ll help you get to set yourself up for success with Amazon: Yes, we’d be happy to help you out. We can set you up with all of the coverage required by Amazon. Amazon requires their drivers to have the following insurance policies:

Commercial General Liability: a minimum of $1 million per occurrence and a total of $2 million.

Auto Liability: a minimum of $1 million per occurrence.

Cargo: a minimum of $100,000 in coverage.

Workers’ Compensation: a policy for all jurisdictions in which your company operates.

Employer Liability: a minimum of $100,000 per occurrence.

Is a Additional Insured the Same Thing as an Certificate Holder?

No, they’re not quite the same. Here are the key differences between the two:

Additional Insured: this person does have actual insurance at the policy level. They’ll receive a copy of any policy changes that may happen, like a cancellation notice or an endorsement. However, they can’t modify the policy because they are not the primary insured and don’t pay the premium.

Certificate Holder: this person has proof of insurance but is NOT the policyholder. They simply hold another person’s proof of insurance for safekeeping. A certificate holder can become an additional insured, but they aren’t necessarily insured.

Will You Insure Me if I Have a DUI on My Record?

If the DUI is more than five years old, we can definitely insure you. If your DUI is younger than that, then we may be able to find you a good package, but we can’t guarantee it. Sometimes, insurance companies will let you skip that requirement if you have a restricted license, but not always.

I Need My Driving Record Run. Can You Do That for Me?

Of course! When you ask for a quote from us, we’ll run your motor vehicle report (MVR). Just give us your last name and your driver’s license number and we’ll check it out for you!

What Kinds of Commercial Trucks Does SafeLine Cover?

If you have a commercial truck of any kind, then SafeLine can insure your vehicle. From semi-trucks to box trucks, and even other hauling vehicles like cargo vans, SafeLine Insurance will get your CMV the coverage it needs to succeed.

I Have a Trailer That Needs Insurance. Can SafeLine Help With That?

Yes, SafeLine would be more than happy to insure your commercial trailer. Not only do we provide insurance for specific trailers, like refrigerated and flatbed trailers, but we also protect everything inside! Our cargo insurance is among the best in the business!

What About Commercial Insurance? Can SafeLine Help Me With That?

If you’re a business owner in the trucking industry, you’ve come to the right place. Our commercial policies include our industry-leading garage keeper’s insurance, on-hook towing insurance, and much more. Give us a call today to find out more about how we insure businesses!

Leave a Reply