What is a CA Number?

A Carrier Identification Number (CA number) is a number issued by the California Highway Patrol. The CHP uses these numbers to identify motor carriers on California roads. You need to register your CA number with the DMV in order to get a Motor Carrier Permit (MCP).

You only need a CA number if you are a motor carrier operating in California. However, it is a legal requirement before beginning any operations on California highways. All commercial motor vehicles with a GVW of over 10,000 pounds need to get a California Motor Vehicle Permit. When you get your number, you must display it in permanent lettering on your vehicle. Otherwise, you could still be pulled over for non-compliance!

When applying, you need to complete a Motor Carrier Profile and make sure to fill it out correctly. While it can be difficult to determine exactly what to fill out, it’s far worse to fill it out incorrectly and deal with that fallout afterwards. If you need help, you can give us a call and we’ll talk you through it!

Getting a CA Number Is One of the Requirements to Get an MCP

Getting a Motor Carrier Permit is no cakewalk. You’ll need to get all of the following in addition to your new CA number:

  • Fill out an MCP application;
  • Pay the fees;
  • Provide proof of workers’ compensation insurance;
  • Meet the liability insurance requirements;
  • Provide a valid Requester Code if you have drivers working for you with a commercial class A or B, or Class C driver’s license with a hazmat endorsement.

DOT filings are very confusing, and it takes a long time to learn what you need to file for. SafeLine Truck Insurance is your friend in the industry who can help you sort out this regulatory mess. Our team has over a decade of experience helping people take control of their trucking business’ future.

If you have any questions about any DOT filings, contact SafeLine Truck Insurance today!