What Is a DOT Number?
The USDOT Number is a unique number for your company that gives instant access to your company’s safety information during various check-ups. It includes inspections, compliance reviews, audits, and accident investigations. Companies that use A commercial motor vehicle to transport passengers or haul cargo in interstate commerce must also display the company’s USDOT number.
Also, if your company uses commercial vehicles to transport passengers or move cargo, it’s required to display your DOT number on each vehicle.
Do I need a DOT Number for my company?
Specific states require DOT numbers for various business types. You need a DOT number if you have a commercial vehicle operating in California that:
- carries 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation
- is used to carry more than 15 passengers (including the driver), but not for compensation
- has a gross weight or gross vehicle weight rating of 10,001 pounds or higher
- is used to transport materials that require a safety permit and/or are classified as hazardous (according to the Secretary of Transportation)
In addition, the location where your vehicle transports goods or passengers determines whether you need a DOT number. You need a DOT number if your commercial vehicle is used for trade or transport between:
- two places located in one state, but through another state (or through a location outside of the US)
- two places located within one state as part of a trade, traffic or transportation with the original location or destination located outside of the US
- a state and another state, or a state and a location outside of the US
Getting a DOT Number with SafeLine Truck Insurance
To start, you want to protect your assets by forming an LLC (Limited Liability Company) or corporation. This gives you a business entity for your company. Next, you should begin the application process for a DOT number. Keep in mind that it might take a few weeks for your number to activate.
We understand that completing all the requirements for your business can be time consuming. So, that’s why our team at SafeLine Truck Insurance works tirelessly to help all of our customers have an easier process! So, let us guide you through all of the requirements for your business. We can also help you get the best insurance policies at the best rates! Protect your business and your livelihood with SafeLine Truck Insurance.
Contact us today for help with your DOT Number!